Saturday, September 08, 2012

More on 'healthy eating'

So, yes, I am thinking about this a lot.  Plus my internet is working so I'm taking advantage!

More from the NHS site:

  • Now take the next snack you plan to have and swap it for something healthier. - I hardly do snacks at all. I'm known for not snacking that much!
  • Try to swap drinks that are high in calories for drinks that are lower in fat and sugars. - I don't drink sugary drinks.  I have alcohol - we share a bottle or two over the weekends, but not every weekend.  And I definitely don't drink regularly like some people I know.
  • Next, find a way to fit just one extra walk into your day. Fast walking is a way to burn calories, and you can often fit it into your daily routine. You might walk to the shops during your lunch break, or get off the bus one stop early on the way home and walk the rest of the way. Commit to this and you’ve adopted your second long-term habit. Ideally, you should aim to walk 10,000 steps a day: it’s not as many as it sounds. - I'm not known as a dawdler, but I SHOULD walk more and exercise more.  But I live on a hill, my osteo says I should avoid running on concrete/tarmac due to the back and muscle problems I have had, and my work schedule does not easily allow for either showering or exercise during the day.  Hmmm.  One to ponder.
  • Last, think about your breakfast tomorrow morning. Can you make it healthier, using the foods you already have at home? 


Could I have a healthier breakfast?  Possibly.  But I don't overeat until... yes... evening.  That's the problem area.  Too little exercise (probably) and eating too late (can't really avoid that with work schedule etc) and eating too much when I do (I like my food!  I get hungry at the end of the day!)

*Sigh*

2 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Get up from your desk and walk for five minutes every hour, take a break. Good luck on the eating thing, I'm trying too.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

The whole 'get up from your desk and walk for five minutes every hour' is laudable but rarely practical in my job. I can take a break from my computer screen regularly easily enough, but I'm often seeing students one after another for 3+ hours at a time. They get an hour appointment, they expect an hour (even if they turn up late which I DO get strict about - you finish at the expected time regardless when you poll up). Giving them 50 mins can really make some cross. No concept of us tutors not keeling over....