Friday, August 04, 2006

Book meme response

I haven't thought about this too much really, not least because I was out last night (see another post):
1. One book that changed my life - The Open University degree prospectus (because it led me to go to Summer School 16 years ago [ scroll to question 5])

2. One book that I have read more than once - Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves (though I could equally say The Sandman...)

3. One book I would want on a deserted island - I'd probably go for a book of Buffy Scripts just because it would also provide me with visual entertainment as well as I watch the programmes in my mind's eye. But certainly some kind of script book.

4. One book that made me laugh - blimey, this question was much harder than I expected. Clearly I am a miserable reader who likes to cry, be driven to tension, and horrified/mystified because there is a real dearth of funny books in my collection! There are some usual suspects that have made me laugh - Al Franken being one - but a lot of things that have made me laugh have had a strain of black humour in them. I certainly laughed when reading The Dying of Delight by the lovely Clare, but I also cried to that as well. And I'm taking it that unintentional laughter doesn't count, right? Otherwise it would probably go to The Da Vinci Code...

5. One book that made me cry - still gotta go with His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

6. One book I wish I'd written - the definitive study on Peggy Guggenheim (though some may say I might yet do that...)

7. One book I wish had never been written - plenty I wish had never been read, but written? Certainly there has been as much that has been misinterpreted and mis-used as has been written out of hatred. I would think the most unforgivable book would have to be vile, nasty, and virulently anti-semitic 'The Protocols of the Elders of Zion'.

8. One book I am currently reading - Pop Fiction (yes, I am revising the Chick Flicks essay)

9. One book I have been meaning to read - Julian Barnes "Arthur and George" (still haven't got around to it; though it does prompt me to ask for my videotape back from HLW...)
Any takers for this meme?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All done!

Much fun :) Melikes books memes!

Holly said...

I might try this one Lisa...I also go for books that make me cry mind you I did recently read a funny one which was a nice light read.

JoeinVegas said...

Oh, there it is. Some pretty good choices, most of which I have not heard of until here. Thanks.