Sunday, August 13, 2006

2nd brief SummerSundae update (Saturday)

Despite Martha Wainwright having had to pull out (sniff!), had another cracking day: saw a bit of Onion, caught Mr Hudson and the Library, half of the set by Howling Bells, one song of the Brakes, Isobel Campbell, a bit of Vashti Bunyan, most of the set by Kissmet, some comedy in the form of Jason Manford, bought a lovely hippy dippy dress and a handmade jacket, some background awareness of The Young Knives and Forward Russia whilst nattering to the lovely promoter for Gem, most of Nouvelle Vague, and a couple of tracks of the rock incarnation of Calexico. For reasons of weather and, well, just 'cos they are great, we also caught the start of the Blockheads second sundae performance.

Main attractions were El Machico, Tunng, and The Proclaimers.

Again, couldn't be everywhere, so missed out on seeing Kim Richey, Rise Kagona & Champion Doug Veitch, and Joan as Police Woman (though she had provided excellent support to Rufus Wainwright last year - though damn me if my review fails to mention her brilliance...). We also - sorry folks - missed out on Gomez.

It then absolutely pissed it down as we ran to the station for the train home.

We're taking a brolly and the car today...

4 comments:

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Oooh I love JAPW! Shame about Ms. Wainwright having to pull out though :(

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

And what did you think of Mr. Hudson? I saw them supporting Vincent Vincent and the Villains a little while back and they were quite confusing, but quite good too!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yeah, I was sorry to miss JAPW but as I had seen her live not so long ago I felt less bad about that (I think everyone I saw was for the first time!) and I have to say I really really enjoyed Mr Hudson - I'll say more in the longer review I plan!

And sorry I didn't see Patrische - though I did often wonder if he had approached any of the mass numbers of stripey women (I loved the description of me as a "psychedelic bumble bee"!) that littered the festival!

patrische said...

I never saw no stripey women...