Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Over 20 people have passed on their Desert Island selections

Even those without blogs are getting in on the act! This came through from the lovely Helen Lisette, with whom I am escaping this weekend for indulgent amounts of chocolate and conversation.
1. "Well Did You Evah?" Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby: from High Society.
My late (much lamented) Dad considered himself a 'crooner' and between us we could recite the lyrics of this song backwards, forwards, upside down and sideways. Whenever I hear it I am immediately reminded of him and the happy times we shared.

2. "Born to Run" Bruce Springsteen.
No particular memories attached to this one; other than it is fabulous and never fails to get my pulse racing. A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Bruce in concert and this was the encore. Such is the memory that I can even remember the time he sang it: 10.03pm.

3. Radio 3's recording of "Hamlet" with Kenneth Branagh, Judi Dench, Derek Jacobi, and a host of others.
In my opinion 'Ken' has one of the sexiest voices I have ever heard (and seen live, numerous times). If I am not allowed the whole recording then I would like the section from Ophelia's burial to the end of the play. This section contains some of the most beautiful lines in the English Language and, when delivered by Mr Branagh, are sublime and send a shiver down my spine.

4. Bach: Prelude to Suite No1 in G Major, performed by Yo-Yo Ma.
Two and a half years ago, I was lucky to get a ticket to an advance preview of 'Master and Commander', followed by a Q&A Session with Messrs Crowe and Bettany. My God! I think this was one of the happiest nights of my life. This piece always reminds me of 'The Galapagos Islands' section of the film (and that night) and Joshua Lyman from 'West Wing': such is my working day sometimes that I could be Donna Moss!

5. "O Soave Fanciulla" (love duet) from La Boheme.
I think this is one of the shortest love duets in operatic history but carries a mighty punch. It never fails to make me cry and I can particularly recommend the DVD of Baz Luhrmann's production at the Sydney Opera House.

6. "J'Attends: Gortoz A Ran" Denez Prigent and Lisa Gerrard, from the soundtrack of "Black Hawk Down".
I adore Lisa Gerrard's music and fell in love with this piece when I saw the film. Four years ago, whilst on holiday in Australia, I embarked on a 9-hour train journey to Northern New South Wales(OK:Coffs Harbour). Due to track repairs, the last part of the journey was on a bus. Listening to this piece, I sat looking up at the Australian night sky, trying to work out where the Crux Australis was. There were no street lights and so nothing spoiled the view of the heavens.

7. "Manhattan" sung by Ella Fitzgerald.
I couldn't let this list go by without a reference to NYC, the corny lyrics and the sheer magic of Ms Fitzgerald's voice - sheer heaven.

8. "Don't Look Back in Anger" Oasis.
I am unable to explain the inclusion of this one, other than to profess a love for the sound of the song.


Well, that's it. There's another 8 rattling around in my brain, but this will do for the time being.
Darvit Nel, I’m well proud of you for having a go at this! And “Don’t Look back In Anger”: could that have anything to do with the final scenes of “Our Friends in the North”?

4 comments:

Paul E. said...

I reckon that taking a WHOLE PLAY is cheating a bit.....

;-)

The Debbie Harry & Iggy Pop version of 'Did you evah' (from that Terrence Higgins Trust benefit LP 'Red Hot and Blue' is a pretty good cover.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

EineKleineRob was intending to take a complete Mahler 2-CD set: I think we can stretch to a bit of dialogue to listen to! (It's still performance, right?!)

Anonymous said...

I want Helen Lisette to have my babies!


Hello! Hello ... it's sudeenly gone very quiet round here. Hello ...

Anonymous said...

And here are mine to add to the list.