Monday, September 12, 2005

The slow burn of "This Life"

They spoke about it being a "cult series" (that's usually short for genre TV, sci-fi for example). In this instance I guess they mean 'not many people watched it' (though they admit to 4 million).
Mind, they did say it had "begun without fanfare"...

Understatement! I think it was Cloud who got into "This Life" first. I pretty well seem to recall it was on its third showing by the time audiences had caught up with it properly and it had took off. Now it may be reprised in a one-off drama... unsure how I feel about that, though I have often recalled the series.

I still have the season 2 finale on videotape. I think Cloud thought I was demented for the utterly exhultant manner in which I leapt off the sofa shrieking "YES!" at the vengeance wrought by Milly on the scheming Rachel with her well-aimed punch. I had been close to tears when Rachel had "let slip" her observations about Milly's relationship with her boss, especially as Milly had just had the courage to break off that self-destructive and exploited affair and was finally getting some shot at happiness. The punch just gave vent to the frustration felt as I had dug my fingers in my palm in response to the sheer vindictiveness of Rachel.

I'd like to think that Rachel got her come-uppance beyond that great punch, but my realistic attitude to life says the character probably still went on to success... never mind real life sucks, sometimes fiction does too...

3 comments:

Admin said...

This Life is overdue a re-release on DVD.

I was looking on Amazon the other day and found the complete series 1 set. Its no longer in print (if that is the right word for DVDs) so only had 'new & used' starting from £120.

I loved the show, even if I did spend half the time shouting at Egg to pull himself together.

Marie said...

Could be worse. I appear to be turning into Egg. And I don't even have a lucrative voiceover career to comfort myself with.

Casyn said...

This must be what it's like to come to my blog and not have heard of Buffy, or Joss Whedon...

:-)