Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Overrated

So, the 6Music debate says "Overrated?".

Now is the issue stuff deemed 'classic' that is overrated, or stuff currently deemed to be a 'future classic'? Clearly the latter could include all manner of nonsense that it would be easy to spot as being overrated, whereas the former always battle against what people feel they should like.

Currently overrated: anything by Coldplay, but most especially their current album X & Y
Long term overrated: I'm in a quandry about this because as Cloud notes most of the artistes I am most passionate about are huge fans of his, but I would have to say I was probably too young to get the whole Ziggy Stardust thing. And it doesn't help that Bowie has kept churning out stuff of middling quality. (I do like some of his individual songs - just not whole albums, and not this one)

Really sorry folks. Educate me. I'm even pretty sure I could have chosen a more fitting "overrated" option... just can't choose which

5 comments:

Marie said...

Neil Young. Whine, whine whiiine. And plenty of Bob Dylan too. What is it with these nasal men? Gotta say I love Bowie though.

BTW, I tried to wish you a happy blog birthday but I don't think my comment worked.

Reidski said...

Missed it yesterday, so:

Happy birthday dear lisa
happy birthday dear lisa
happy birthday dear lisa
happy birthday to you.

Oh, and by the way, anyone who even tries to say that Neil Young or bowie are overrated will be struck down by the wrath of Reidski!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yikes! The wrath of Reidski...

Major sorry: I knew I would be hung drawn and quartered for the remark about Bowie.

It's Cloud's fault for suggesting it (in response to the fact that I do sometimes get cranky at the utterly forgiving passion Bowie induces regardless of the quality of his work: Tin Machine anyone? I know, I know, experimentation is a good thing...but still...)

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Oh dear Marie... I really cannot agree with you about nasal male voices. I could probably reel off several in addition to those you name who feature large in my CD / record collection. Perhaps it's because I always sound like I have a peg on my nose when I hear myself on tape...

Anna Lowman (annawaits) said...

Many happy returns Lisa!

As for overrated, I don't think anything needs to be added when Coldplay have already been mentioned. Any band that aspires to be U2 has serious problems. U2 have had quite a bashing off me recently.... good good.