Monday, August 22, 2005

Relishing in Sherlock Holmes

Over the years I have taken much pleasure in watching the various performances of Holmes on screen (and I still enjoy watching the Jeremy Brett series', even though with hindsight they seem much more mannered, even hammy, than my fond memories had established them). Refreshed from watching the recent television drama about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - hmm, cannot think why? [though it was not his first brush with Holmes] - I was therefore thrilled when Cloud said he had found a trove of Sherlock Holmes Penguin orange cover classic crime books at the West Bridgford Oxfam. A snip of their original price, the six books were brand new. "Get 'em!" I cried.

If I had read any previously, it must have been as a child, because I certainly cannot recall reading them in the last couple of decades. But what a treat! I think that these will keep me out of trouble for at least a couple of days!

3 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

Not the old Basil Rathbone? Who could forget his later roll in the 'ghost in the Invisible Bikini'?
Brett was great - really seemed to know how to handle the cocaine scenes.

Marie said...

A couple of recent Holmes-related novels you might like: 'The Final Solution' by Michel Chabon, and 'Arthur and George' by Julian Barnes. Haven't actually read the latter, a fictionalised biog of Arthur Conan Doyle, but it's a Booker contender so should be worth a punt; the former is a brilliant story about Holmes in his last days.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

Yeah, Marie I've been looking at getting both of these books so am glad of the personal recommendation. On my 'to get' list...