Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The Big Blowdown: blooming brilliant

Maybe I was in the mood for some hardboiled reading, but on return from DofS picking up Reidski's recommended reading somehow felt right.

What a great read! I really got sucked into the world and the physical and mental characteristics of the key figures were wonderfully conveyed. And Reidski's right about the musical references: really brought the historical moment to life.

I'll try and get hold of some of the others. In the meantime I really should purchase the latest Kelley Armstrong in readiness for the Intellectual History Reading Group on Susan Sontag next month (that's me pseudo-intellectual by day; frothy vampire/witch reader by night).

Except when I'm indulging in hardboiled social fiction...

1 comment:

Reidski said...

"On return from DofS"???? What does that mean? And which recommended read did you start with.
Oh, and while I'm at it, some excellent posts in the last couple of days, by the way.
My own blogging has come to a halt in the face of continuous downloading of music in the last week or so - some old Dears stuff, Mekons, Biffy Clyro, Steve Earle and others. Hey, I know what my next post is going to be about...