Friday, February 11, 2005

Quote of the day 11 Feb 2005: for the Common People

Hvaing to choose just one song for my profile on Normblog was really tough - in fact, all the questions requiring single or selective answers were hard going. Hey, I'm indecisive and moody, whatcha gonna do about it?! Context and need change everything. Anyway, this prompted a correspondence about Common People, and it got the lyrics pumping through my head (again).

One of the things I really love about the song, and why on its release I used to get so cross at radio stations playing the edit version, were some of the sentiments in the second verse:
'Cos everybody hates a tourist,
especially one who thinks it’s all such a laugh
and the chip stains and grease will come out in the bath
You will never understand how it feels to live your life with no meaning or control and with nowhere left to go
I've highlighted that last phrase especially because I so fondly recall the venom with which myself and Maya would spit those lyrics out as we sang along... for us it was heartfelt and real and utterly descriptive of some of the experiences we had lived through.

Sometimes it's worth remembering how acutely another person's words can describe our lives....

No comments: